Monday 21 March 2016

#C4F1 Qualifying was not the only disappointing feature of the Australian GP race at the weekend.

I used to look forward to the opening race of the Formula One season in Australia, not just because it was that, but also because it gave me something to watch in the early hours of the morning. But since Channel 4 has taken over it seems the latter will apply no longer. I can only assume that the reason they have elected to ditch the live coverage is due to advertising revenue issues and of course their obsession with property shows and incomprehensible American so-called comedy shows which form the staple menu at such times.

From the minute I heard that Channel 4 was to replace the BBC the words that kept repeating in my head were 'dumbing down.' And nothing that surfaced over the weekend appeared to contradict my concern.
The new presentation team is my main dislike here.
Of course Lee McKenzie cannot be objected to in any way - her in depth interviews are minor masterpieces and an invaluable part of any race day presentation. And, while Karun Chanduk is a pleasant guy, his area of expertise comes purely from a driver's perspective and we already have David Coulthard (thank heavens) for that. Although I understand Karun's role will include talking to team bosses and engineers regarding team strategy and so on - there is still no one to give us a technical insight into tyre structure or front wing design for example.

Channel 4 may well believe that is beyond the comprehension of the average C4 viewer and so rather than merely dumbing the subjects down they have decided to exclude them altogether.

But I really question the choice of Steve Jones as lead presenter. I've never actually heard of him before and certainly not in any connection with motor racing. Apparently he is otherwise 'known' for working on the X-Factor and some pop programme called T4. I don't see how on earth that qualifies him to present a sensible Formula One Race coverage. Just compare his knowledge and experience of motor racing with Suzi Perry's - well there simply is no comparison. I assume that the reason for his selection is the same as that used by the BBC for choosing the ginger twat (Chris Evans) as lead presenter on the new Top Gear - an interest in cars and an annoying loudmouthed jocular style.

As for the rest I was glad to see Mark Webber there although I don't see how his contribution will differ in any significant aspect to that of David Coulthard. And of course Eddie Jordan will make his occasional contributions between his new Top Gear commitments.

Apparently Alain Prost will be making contributions and those will be interesting but I still think they will overlap appreciably with those of David Coulthard.

The reason behind Susie Wolff's inclusion is an utter mystery. She is a former F1 test driver who failed to be selected as a driver and the only justification that I can see is that since she is married to Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff, C4 hope to benefit from some pillow talk, which is actually more of an insult to her than describing her as a failed race driver.
I'm reasonably pleased to see Ben Edwards back although not the most competent of commentators his is, at least, a familiar voice.
And which Formula One fan would not be delighted with the presence of Murray Walker, even if only occasionally.

As for the other three Alex Zanardi, Jolyon Palmer, and Bruno Senna. I would only ask, 'Why oh why?'

Including some merely as 'occasional contributors' still makes a team of thirteen which is overmanning on a BBC scale surely?

Other dislikes about the C4 presentation included the number and frequency of advertising breaks - they seemed to be about every 5 minutes. Although Channel 4 say that the full live races will be covered ad free that still leaves more than half the schedule plus the qualifying sessions plus the lead up to the actual races to annoy us.

I know I used to criticise the BBC coverage at times and I hoped that the C4 coverage would be on a par with the way they cover horse racing but now my feeling is, 'Come back BBC, all is forgiven.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated