Thursday 23 August 2012

The Mail Online sinks even further into the depths of illiteracy

You may well think that with so much madness and sadness in the world my priorities are a trifle askew. Well maybe.

The truth is that I do feel rather depressed and I find a picture of Rihanna often cheers me up especially when I can combine it with one of my favourite hobbyhorses.

The pic above shows the ever sexy and sultry Rihanna leaving a business meeting in Los Angeles with, what the Mail Online described as:
what looked to be a binded press pack in hand
Since when, in the name of the wee man, has the past tense of the verb to bind become binded

It's not even an Americanism so it can't be blamed on copy/pasting from a foreign source.
And what really puzzles me is that if the author had a moment's hesitation about the correctness of his word he could have simply omitted it altogether without losing any of the sense. So I guess it comes down to sheer stupidity as much as ignorance on the part of the author who, it turns out, is something called Fehintola Betiku.

What on earth is a Fehintola Betiku? You cannot tell whether it is male or female let alone whether it might speak English as a first or second language.
I know I've said it before, but if the Daily Mail cannot afford to pay educated journalists then it has an obligation to employ a decent proof reader at the very least.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated