Sunday 25 November 2012

The 2012 Formula One season ends in Brazil

While the race at Interlagos was as full of drama as you could possibly want, I found the end itself somewhat of an anti-climax. Sebastian Vettel, otherwise known as 'the fingerer' (see above) clinched the championship from 6th place while his rival Alonso finished second.

But the real disappointment for me was Lewis Hamilton being taken out from P1 by an importunate move by Nico Hulkenberg who was on the wrong tyres for the wet conditions at the time. This was, of course, Lewis' last race for McLaren and it would have been pleasing for him to leave on a winning note.

I'm sure next season is not going to be a vintage one for Lewis. He will have his work cut out for him trying to gather the Mercedes team around him and assisting in the badly needed improvements. 2014, if I survive that long, could well be different when the new rules come into force with the resultant benefits to the AMG design.

Other unanswered questions this year include the matter of who will replace Jake Humphries on the BBC commentary team. I can only wish that he takes Ben Edwards with him into football oblivion. Edward's voice rises to an annoying contralto pitch during moments of excitement in the commentary box. I'm sure he is a gifted football commentator but his knowledge of Formula One leaves something to be desired. On the contrary Gary Anderson's contributions have been highly informative and utterly fascinating. So I hope he is staying. The BBC who have completely ballsed up their contract with Bernie are staying predictably silent on the matter.

And talking of Bernie - it worried me that he has been wittering on about an increase in the number of Asian circuits at the expense of some European tracks. Quite frankly Abu Dhabi is a boring circuit and Singapore takes place at a silly time of day. I nodded off during the Indian GP and I hate the thought of losing Spa or Monaco for the likes of those. Would I continue to watch Formula One if I could no longer watch cars racing over Eau Rouge or negotiating La Rascasse? Well probably, but it would certainly not be the same thing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated