Saturday 31 December 2016

Goodbye 2016. Some of the people who have most annoyed me this year

I make no attempt to deny that this item was inspired the recent article in The Spectator by Quentin Letts. My justification is that I've found this year to be particularly annoying and am fully entitled to write about it. It might be said that I'm so much older and therefore am more easily annoyed but that is neither here nor there really.

So here, in no particular order other than the first, are my pet peeves of 2016.
1) It seems that even more people are misusing the word "amazing" It's use as an expression of opinion is entirely subjective and I am not in the least interested, or "amazed" by the prices of pieces of furniture, white goods, the characters of children, pets or reminiscences of holidays etc etc. All it's use really indicates is the lack of vocabulary of the careless user. They should find an appropriate word or just STFU.
2) Benedict Cumberbatch - and here I include all the luvvies and miscellaneous celebrities who inflict their entirely unwanted opinions on matters of the day. Okay we all have opinions (see Twitter for examples) but these people seem to think that theirs are of more significance than those of the general public.
3) Gary Lineker - I cannot abide the noise he makes eating crisps or whatever that rubbish he advertises might be. Also see 2) above.
4) Jamie Oliver - Of course I don't like 'celebrity' chefs at the best of times but at this time of year we get inflicted with this twat continually going on about 'wonderful' vegetables and 'feasts' and all the rest of the it.
5) Stephen Fry, David Walliams, Alan Carr, Sandi Toksvic and all the rest of the celebrity "LGBT community" - I have no quarrel with people's sexual orientation but I have no wish to hear the persistently off-colour jokes and comments that they seem unable to keep to themselves.
6) Richard Osman - Why has this man got to keep appearing on everything? He's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is and, in any case, I don't like people who look out of proportion to themselves.
7) Theresa May - She's clearly lying to us about getting us out of the EU. Hard Brexit or soft Brexit, it's just bullshit. She's a typical, self-serving, lying hypocrite in the mould of David Cameron.
8) Twitter - Yes I know I use it all the time but it has been really annoying me this year. It's the stupid "While you were away" nonsense. It comes up even when you haven't been away at all. You click on "show me less like this" and it keeps coming back again and again and again and again. Now it's got fed up with me saying I don't want to see tweets from hours ago. So it's bringing up the same old tweets but without the "While you were away" nonsense so you still have to reload the page in order to banish them further back down the timeline to keep the timeline current. It's so bloody stupid and utterly pointless. I simply do not want to see tweets that were put out there while I was in bed asleep or shopping or whatever.
On top of that I'm getting increasingly annoyed by other Twitter users who call anyone whose opinion differs from theirs "trolls" or "haters" It just shows their ignorance. Twice this year I have been called a "troll" which I certainly am not and just because I take the piss out of certain TV soap characters it doesn't make me a "hater" either.
I saw in the twitter response to George Michael's death that some people were putting the likely cause as being his oft reported misuse of drugs. Well that may be their opinion, to which they are entitled, but the more ignorant users were saying that those people were "parasites" Why do they use words of which they obviously do not know the meaning?
9) The current producer of TV soap Coronation Street Kate Oates - I've watched this programme more or less since the beginning so if I'm not entitled to criticise it then no one is. 'Corrie' was originally intended to be a humourous reflection Northern life but now it contains so much violent crime and so many unstable sociopaths that Northerners must be afraid to leave their homes. Since Kate Oates took over the reins, I don't think there is a single mentally sound person or relationship remaining on the cobbles. Murder, larceny and arson lurk around every corner. Every simple human storyline has to be corrupted or tinged with an element of criminality or a hint of unsavoury drama to come.
10)TV Continuity Announcers Why must TV companies recruit so many badly educated speakers of poor quality estuary English. It has got to the stage now where I have to mute the sound at the end of every programme so I don't have to listen to some moronic, inarticulate gabbling about a programme the next day which has no similarity to or connection with the one the one I have just been watching. And why does the picture have to be distorted while they gabble so that you cannot read the closing credits?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated